A QUICK 9 WITH BENJAMIN HOFFHINE – WESTCHESTER COUNTRY CLUB
Benjamin Hoffhine is the Director of Golf at Westchester Country Club, a world-class New York facility rated among the top private clubs in the United States. Hoffhine shares his love for golf and why pace of play management is critical to the on-course experience.
1. What was your favorite Major to watch this year and why?
Normally the British Open is my favorite as I like the way the R&A sets the course up and then lets the quality of play or weather dictate the winning score. In 2018, the US Open was my favorite as Shinnecock Hills is one of my favorite courses in the world.
2. Who was your golf hero growing up?
Growing up in Ohio, it was hard not to be drawn to Jack Nicklaus.
3. If you could be a Professional Caddie on the PGA Tour, who would you like to caddie for and why?
Tiger, just to get a front row seat.
4. Has golf always been your first love? What other sports are you passionate about and do you participate in any other sports besides golf?
Growing up I was a basketball, baseball and football player. I didn’t start playing golf until I was 12.
5. Where does Pace of Play rank as an industry priority? Top 3?
Pace of play is a top 3 industry priority. As a father of three young children I understand better than most the value of time. Spending four to five hours on an activity away from family is a big commitment.
6. Why has your course decided to invest in Pace of Play?
We do 45,000 rounds a year and one slow group can adversely affect 400 other players’ experience.
7. What are the top benefits about having technology to manage the field, efficiencies and the pace of play?
It’s twofold. Firstly, we can pinpoint groups and areas of the course that need attention and secondly, the data provided to us helps to inform decisions going forward.
8. How easy is it to manage/utilize Tagmarshal?
9. How responsive are Tagmarshal Customer Experience Agents have been to questions or concerns about our product?
Tagmarshal is a golf course intelligence and pace-of-play management solution that turns pace into an asset. The system uses small “tags” clipped onto golf bags or installed on carts which transmit geolocation data. Industry-leading algorithms identify risk groups with accurate, objective support to alleviate pace challenges before they arise. Public, private and resort courses using Tagmarshal realize substantial returns on investments through improved on-course experiences achieved with less staff as well as increases in daily rounds. Impactful and easy-to-use data analytics, weather data integration and geo-fencing complete the offering.