5 steps to ensure player safety and club success
The golf industry is very optimistic about the future of golf, as courses prepare to reopen. Operators now have the opportunity to innovate and streamline the processes they use to manage their on-course operations, to ensure player safety and success.
In a recent Tagmarshal webinar poll, 80% of the attendees were positive that they will see more play. When asked “How will your course be adapting to a new world, post Covid-19,” 73% of attendees said they’d be looking to “find ways to work with less touch points and resources.”
Golf Inc. Innovation Strategy Conference
CEO and Co-founder of Tagmarshal, Bodo Sieber, recently attended the Golf Inc. Innovation Strategy Conference, where he formed part of the Expert panel, discussing the topic: “Tech to the rescue: Using technology to bring customers back.”
The virtual conference aimed to inform golf course operators and industry professionals regarding how the use of technology, can play a crucial part in bringing customers back, and help businesses to rebound after Covid-19.
The timing was perfect – as many clubs that were closed, are now gearing up to reopen, and are busy putting plans in place for the season.
Bodo Sieber presented the “5 Step Plan for Player Safety and Course Success”, which helps operators to streamline processes, assisting them in achieving success this season.
According to players and golf operators these are the key objectives for the season:
- Providing a safe playing environment
- Doing more, with fewer resources
5 Step Plan for Player Safety and Success
Key objective: Providing a safe player environment, while doing more, with less.
Provide a safe environment!
- Define your internal processes and train your staff to be accountable and well versed in why and how. Enforce policies!
- Share with your players what you do to provide a safe environment. (website, mailers, social media, posters) because that is what attracts players to play at your course at the moment.
Refer to tagmarshal.com/SafeGolf for ready to use posters and tips
2. TRACK ALL PLAY
Knowing where people are and using technology to control and manage social distancing, providing accurate data and making sure people are aware of that.
“We are 100% in control of what is happening on the course. On top of optimizing our course flow, we can empower our staff and have objective data to manage and continuously improve our operation.” Kristoff Booth – Alcanada Golf
Below are tips on how, using Tagmarshal, you can establish a safe and no-player-touch handout process and ensure compliance.
Safe, no-player-touch handout (Classic tag & 2Way handheld/cart-based mobile/tablet)
- Pick up device and sanitize (visibly)
- Attach to player bag / pushcart / single rider
- Inform players it is for their safety and to ensure social distancing on the course so that all can be safe and the course is fully compliant with health regulations.
- Remind them to keep their social distancing gap of 6ft and the interval gap to the group in front. Don’t touch the flagstick, don’t rake bunkers, no handshakes. Enjoy a great round!
- Ability to set halfway house order reminders
- Retrieve after round
3. MANAGE SOCIAL DISTANCING AND FLOW OF PLAY ACCURATELY AND PROACTIVELY
There are different variables on the course that is why it’s important to have real and accurate data to manage the field. This is where technology can really help, so that you can control these variables well. Visibility – show players what you are doing for them
“Averting player bottlenecks and improving performance with actionable data are testaments to the effectiveness of Tagmarshal technology.” Ben Hoffhein, Westchester CC
Full line of sight: Industry-leading dynamic distance and gap calculation
Social Distancing Monitor: Clear view of social distances between playing groups and alerts. For more info visit https://tagmarshal.com/new-features/social-distancing-monitor/
Live management: To ensure the no1 player priority – A safe playing environment. Script example:
“Hi, I’m here to help everyone stay safe and keep their distance in line with regulations. Can I assist you to get back in position and catch up about 5 minutes?”
Trackmap data to ensure compliance: The system offers group by group and cart by cart track map data and archives all rounds.
4. USE ACTIONABLE DATA TO MANAGE YOUR COURSE PERFORMANCE
Manage live play, set-ups, holes, bottlenecks, flow risks, intervals, goal times, starter accuracy, staff efficiency. Benchmark and keep improving!
“The system’s actionable data allows our team to be accurate, pre-emptive and proactive in their operational and on-course management.” John Wittemore Advanced Golf Partners
- Efficiency and optimization
- Data for better decision making
- Benchmarking and performance tracking
- Data empowered superintendents drive savings
To facilitate effective and SAFE Field management and to optimize capacity
- Deep Analytics with controls and goal setting
- Tracking of group size/cart usage for detailed reporting
- Dynamic Goaltimes
- Interval optimization
Share results, processes and successes using your data in internal (stakeholders/staff) and external (players) communication because this is what your players will communicate to other players, driving increase in play volume.
- SUCCESS: ie. 300 yards / 9 minutes average distance adhered to by our playing groups this week
- SUCCESS: ie. 100% social distancing success of our playing groups this week
- SUCCESS: ie. 30 effective interactions to ensure player safety and social distance guidelines adherence providing a safer environment this week
For more information regarding how Tagmarshal’s golf course operations platform, optimises the on-course experience, resulting in improved efficiency, enhanced, safer golfer experiences and additional revenue and cost savings, watch the Demo: www.tagmarshal.com/demo
Tagmarshal, the market leader in on-course optimization technology, provides courses with full, real-time operational oversight and reporting, giving golf operators the tools to manage pace and flow of play effectively, resulting in enhanced player experiences, increased efficiency through automation, and additional revenue generation.
Tagmarshal’s technology has collected over 1 billion data points from more than 30 million rounds of golf and has relationships with in excess of 500 partners, including Hazeltine, Whistling Straits, Baltusrol, Fieldstone, Bandon Dunes, Serenoa and Erin Hills.
Tagmarshal partners with several golf management groups, private, daily fee, public and resort courses, including 35 of the Top 100 US courses, as well as many $30-$50 green fee courses, which are seeing excellent results using the system.