By SGB Media
26 April 2020
Forty-nine percent of golf courses in the U.S. were open for play last week with more expected to resume play in the coming weeks, according to the National Golf Foundation’s most recent COVID-19 survey.
“This figure has risen slightly over the past weeks and we expect it to continue to do so as warmer weather creeps further north, Wisconsin allows walking-only play, some private clubs re-open to members in New York, and golf operations resume in a few California counties,” NGF President Joe Beditz said in a Friday email about the results.
Here’s a quick rundown of other new information available on NGF’s COVID-19 impacts page:
- One seven-state region had the biggest jump in facility openings – to 77 percent open overall.
- Online searches for open golf courses have spiked again.
- Find out which facility type (municipal, daily fee or private) had the most notable increase in openings.
- Opposition among core golfers to government-mandated closures is growing. See which demographic is changing their tune the most.
- Been practicing at home the last month? You’re not alone. Learn what core golfers have been doing.
- Find out how significantly the COVID-19 crisis is increasing the “itch” to play golf.
- Read about why playing golf during the pandemic is a matter of debate.
Please share these tips, articles and insights, so that as many people as possible can benefit from #SafeGolf.
Tagmarshal has tracked over 10 million rounds of golf. Real-time data collected by the system using small “tags” clipped onto golf bags, installed in buggies or offered on handheld or cart-installed proprietary 2Way screen devices, transmits information to on-course staff or personnel in the pro shop identifying groups that are out of position before issues arise. Player assistants can then support in a proactive, objective, non-confrontational manner resulting in improved player experience, consistent round times and player time freed up to enjoy on-site food and beverage items as well as opportunities for additional tee sheet capacity.
More than 25 of the top 100 US courses partner with Tagmarshal including over 250 leading courses globally.
To learn more about how Tagmarshal improves the golfer experience, through on-course optimization, watch the free demo here.