As part of the Vail Resorts company, Keystone Resort has also been awarded three consecutive silver medals as one of America’s Best Golf Resorts by Golf Magazine (2002-2007), ranking among America’s Top 75 Golf Resorts by Golf Digest.
Behind every successful golf course, there is a successful team. We speak to Philip Tobias, PGA Head Golf Professional at Keystone Resort, who tells us a little about himself and what drives success at the golf course.
1. Has golf always been your first love? What other sports/team are you a fan of?
My first love was baseball as a kid until the age of 14. At 14, I got my first job at a course, and the rest is history. I love all forms of sport and would say that I root for all Michigan teams.
2. What is your favorite/greatest round of golf experience?
I was fortunate enough to play a round of golf at Cypress Point. It’s an amazing experience, and I hope to get back someday.
3. What is your dream golf destination? Why?
There are really too many to list, but my next venture is scheduled for Ireland.
4. Where does Pace and Flow of Play rank as an industry priority? Top 3?
It is in the top three. I focus on two areas, on and off course experiences. The off-course experience is pretty easy to achieve, while the on-course experience is challenging. Our guests expect perfect turf conditions and at 9300 feet elevation, it’s tough to accomplish.
However, when we are at our best, we need to be sure that the pace is acceptable. Otherwise, it doesn’t matter how good the course is playing. We strive to find a pace that is acceptable for all abilities of players and Tagmarshal is a big reason why we are doing better than ever.
5. Why has your course decided to invest in Tagmarshal?
We have a variety of players of all abilities and desires. We understand that not all players have the ability or desire to play in 3.5 hours, but with Tagmarshal, we can fully understand what is achievable and set goals. Our pace has never been better, and our NPS (Net Promoter Score) is at 82, as part of our measure to constantly improve the player experience.
6. What are the top benefits of incorporating Tagmarshal into your daily operations?
Pace of play tracking, which we have highlighted as a crucial feature to improve the player experience at Keystone.
7. Describe Tagmarshal in three words.
Effective pace management
8. Who’s the slowest and fastest player on Tour?
Ben Crane is the slowest, and DJ is one of the fastest.
9. If you could be a caddie on Tour, whose caddie would you like to be, and why?
For me, it doesn’t matter who the golfer is as long as there is respect, and it is a team environment.